Bakul Omprakash Sharma
Bakul Sharma is an Indian cinematographer who has spent the past couple of decades meddling behind the camera lens. She started off doing portraiture, commercial and experimental still photography for 4 years before moving on to motion cameras, since the still world felt limiting to her expression. One's capability to imagine and dream, to see things in ways that may not exist in reality, seemed like the thing she wanted to capture using her tool - the camera.
While she has no formal training in photography or film making, Bakul started out as an Assistant Cinematographer in 2001, and focus pulled/1stAC'ed for many international and Indian DPs, gaining the experience of working on a number of projects that spanned across many genres. She has been an independent DP since 2008, and has shot numerous documentaries, experimental shorts, feature films, and TVCs.
Closest to her heart, however, remain experimental films. The freedom to attempt new and unconventional methods of visual expression, and the opportunity to work with young directors, giving visuals to their unfound expressions, is an ongoing exploratory process that keeps her charged.
- 2008 - 2014
Independently worked as Cinematographer/DOP on several Documentaries, Digital content, TVCs, Shorts &Experimentals and Feature Films
Partial Listing of Projects:
- Happy Hookers (2006) - D.O.P. (Documentary)
- Fakir of Venice (2008) - Cinematographer (Feature)
- Vroom (2010) - D.O.P. (Feature)
- Partners in Crime (2011) - Cinematographer (Documentary)
- A La Cart!!! Food In The Streets Of India (2011) - D.O.P. (Documentary)
- Gaajar (2012) - Additional Cinematographer (Feature)
- Sarojkhan: Dancing Like A Queen (2012) - Cinematographer (Documentary)
- Jaaga - Urban Avant-Grade (2012) - Cinematographer (Documentary)
- Moksh (2013) - Cinematographer (Feature)
- Scattered Windows Connected Doors (2013) - D.O.P. (Documentary)
- Suicidal (2013) - D.O.P. (Short)
- Exit - Venice 70: Future Reloaded (2013) - Segment 'ShekharKapur'
- Cinematographer (Short/Experimental)
- TVC's - Blackberry, Nokia, Univercel, Make My Trip, HCG - Health Care Global, Lux, VGC Diamonds and more.
- 2004 - 2011
Worked on several projects as operator A cam, B cam operator, 2nd unit DOP
Partial Listing of Projects:
- The Little Godfather (2007) - 2nd Unit DOP (feature film)
- Luck By Chance (2009) - 2nd Unit DOP (feature film)
- Once upon a Time in Mumbai (2010) - B cam operator (feature film)
- Action Replay (2010) - B cam operator (feature film)
- Zokkomon (2011) - 2nd Unit DOP (feature film)
- TVCs - HSBC, L'oreal, Tresemme, Samsung, Huggies, Park Avenue and more
- 2004 - 2008
Assisted, focus pulled and gaffed several foreign DOPs working in India and the sub continent on several TVCs.
Partial listing of Indian & foreign DOPs worked with:
- Barry Ackroyd (BSC) - Coke International Campaign 2005 (India segment)
- Angus Hudson (BSC) - TVCs (Halls, Iffco Tokio, IPL Mumbai Indians and more)
- Nanu Seagal (BSC) - TVCs
- Trevor Forrest - Feature Film (Bombil & Beatrice - 1st AC)
- Jamie Fowlds - Feature Film (Bombil & Beatrice - 1st AC), Shilpa Shetty Yoga Video, Bipasha Basu Yoga Fitness Video and more
- Keshav Prakash (ISC) - TVCs
- Mark Lapwood (ACS) - TVCs (Nokia, Yamaha, Toyota, Kingfisher Airlines and more)
- Frank Flick (ACS) - TVCs (Clinic Shampoo, Blue Star, Panasonic and more)
- Immanuel 'Chivo' Lubezki (ASC, AMC) - TVCs (Focus Puller on GE TVC for Tractor Films, USA. B cam/2nd Unit DOP on Samsung Olympics David Beckham TVC)
- Steven Chivers - TVCs (L'oreal Annual Campaign 2012)
- James Cowley - TVCs (Nokia and more)
- Mark Patten - BBC International Campaign 2005
- Teodoro Maniachi - Feature Film (Outsourced - 1st AC India)
- Denson Baker (ACS) - Feature Film (The Waiting City - Add. Focus Puller)
- 2000 - 2004
Assisted/focus pulled for DOP Sameer Sabnis (ISC) on TVCs, Feature Films.
Feature Film Listing:
- Uff Kya Jaadu Mohhabat Hai (2004) - Rajshri Films
- Dost (2005)
- 1999 - 2000
worked as still photographer: Commercial, fashion and portraits.